Saturday, November 15, 2008
(Photo: David Jack, 1909 or earlier. Public domain. Original source.)
The greatest land owner in Monterey in the late 1800s was David Jacks, who bestowed his name upon Jacks Peak County Park and (probably) Monterey Jack cheese. He owned much of the town for more than 50 years. The Jacks fortune was eventually given to California colleges and universities, and to the city of Monterey in the form of Pacific House, Casa del Orio and Don Dahvee Park (the latter stemming from the name his Mexican friends and employees called him).
(Photo: Don Dahvee Park by Roger J. Inman, by permission.)